Foreign Graduates


  1. Home
  2. Foreign Graduates

Provisions of Iowa law allow foreign pharmacy graduates who have demonstrated an equivalency of education with U.S. pharmacy standards to sit for our licensing exams (NAPLEX & MPJE) to become licensed in Iowa. Equivalency standards, exams, and certifications are processed through the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee (FPGEC).

To demonstrate education equivalency, a foreign pharmacy graduate applicant must take and pass the FPGEC’s Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Examination (FPGEE).

To demonstrate proficiency in basic English language skills, a foreign pharmacy graduate applicant must take and pass the FPGEC’s Internet Based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT).

Upon successful completion of the FPGEE and TOEFL iBT, a foreign pharmacy graduate application will receive Certification from FPGEC. Upon receipt of FPGEC Certification, a foreign pharmacy graduate applicant is eligible to sit for Iowa’s licensure exams. 

While citizenship is not a requirement for licensure, a foreign pharmacy graduate applicant must provide a valid social security number or individual tax identification number (ITIN). If an applicant is using ITIN, the applicant must also provide acceptable proof of lawful presence.

Foreign pharmacy graduates who are candidates for licensure in Iowa will be required to obtain a minimum of 1,500 hours of internship in one or more board-licensed pharmacies. Applicants must register with the Board. Internship credit will not be granted until the candidate has been issued an intern registration. Applications for registration must be accompanied by their FPGEC.