Initial Application - No DEA number
NEW APPLICANTS WITHOUT A DEA NUMBER
Practitioners seeking to obtain an Iowa Controlled Substances Act Registration (CSAR) that do not yet have a federal DEA number must complete the following in the order listed:
- Obtain and complete a controlled substances registration application, available online or by contacting the Iowa Board of Pharmacy, 400 SW Eighth Street - Suite E, Des Moines, Iowa 50309-4688. Complete all required information, sign and return the application to the Iowa Board of Pharmacy Board office with a check or money order in the amount of $90.
- The application must indicate an Iowa practice address, including the street address. You will be registered for those schedules indicated on the application form. If you wish to use controlled substances in all schedules (2, 2N, 3, 3N, 4, 5) be certain to indicate this by checking each respective schedule on the application. (Refer to "Summary of Drugs and Schedules.") The Iowa professional license is required before either the state or federal controlled substance registration will be issued.
- For Question 6, regarding a federal DEA number, please enter "Pending" or simply leave blank.
- Once the application has been processed and entered into the database you will receive an email (from IBOP@igovsolution.com) with your assigned CSAR number and its expiration date. At this point the status of the CSAR registration will be "Pending PMP".
- Obtain your federal registration application (Form DEA-224) from the Drug Enforcement Administration, Attn: Registration Clerk, 317 South 16th Street, St. Louis, MO 63105. The form is now available on the DEA's web site (click on registration, then click on registration applications).
- Complete all information. In section 3 ("State Licenses") of the online application process you will need to enter your state CSAR number and expiration date. The number and expiration date will be found in the email you received from IBOP@igovsolution.com.
- If filling out a paper application, sign the application, and attach your check or money order for the required fee. Be certain to check the appropriate box on the form if you desire to purchase Schedule 2 drugs for office use. Order forms for this purpose (Form DEA-222) will not be sent to you unless this box is checked. Mail the completed application to the Washington, D.C. address in the envelope provided. DO NOT mail the application to the Pharmacy Board office nor to the St. Louis DEA office. The DEA registration will not be issued before the state registration application has been processed.
- When you receive your federal DEA number you then apply for a free user account with the Iowa Prescription Monitoring Program (PMP).
- You will be required to provide both your DEA number and your NPI number during the PMP registration process.
- Once your PMP account is approved Board of Pharmacy administrators will update the status of your CSAR from "Pending PMP" to "Current/Active" and your CSAR certificate will be mailed to you.