Military Service and Veteran Reciprocity


  1. Home
  2. License/Registration Categories
  3. Military Service and Veteran Reciprocity

Credit for military education, training, and service

Pharmacists, pharmacist-interns, and technicians with military service who do not meet the requirements for licensure in Iowa can apply for credit for verified military education, training, or service toward any experience or educational requirement for licensure by submitting a military service application form to the board office. Credit may not be given for the examination requirement.

The completed military service application may be submitted with or prior to an application for licensure/registration. There is no fee to submit the military service credit application. The applicant is not required to submit licensure application fees unless the board grants the military service application.

The applicant shall provide documents, military transcripts, a certified affidavit, or forms that verify completion of the relevant military education, training, or service, which may include Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214) or Verification of Military Experience and Training (VMET-DD Form 2586)

Veteran License Transfer

A veteran with an unrestricted professional license in another jurisdiction may apply for pharmacist licensure by license transfer. A veteran must pass any examinations required for licensure to be eligible for licensure through reciprocity.

An application for licensure transfer shall contain all of the information required of all applicants for licensure who hold unrestricted licenses in other jurisdictions and who are applying for licensure transfer, including but not limited to completion of all required forms, payment of applicable fees, disclosure of criminal or disciplinary history, and, if applicable, a criminal history background check. In addition, the applicant shall provide a current military ID or Verification of Military Experience and Training (VMET-DD Form 2586) or any such documentation as is reasonably needed to verify the applicant’s status as a veteran under Iowa Code section 35.1(2).

The board will consider the following factors in determining substantial equivalence: scope of practice, education and coursework, degree requirements, and postgraduate experiences. If the board determines that the licensing/registration requirements in the jurisdiction in which the applicant is licensed are not substantially equivalent to those required in Iowa, the board shall promptly inform the applicant of the additional experience, education, or examinations required for licensure/registration in Iowa. A provisional license may be issued for a specified period of time to allow the applicant an opportunity to obtain the additional experience or education required.

Application Review Process

A fully completed application for licensure shall be given priority and shall be expedited. Applicants can indicate their military service or veteran status on the application.


"Military service" means honorably serving on federal active duty, state active duty, or national guard duty as defined in Iowa Code section 29A.1; in the military services of other states as provided in 10 U.S.C. section 101(c); or the organized reserves of the United States as provided in 10 U.S.C.

"Veteran" means an individual who meets the definition of "Veteran" in Iowa Code section 35.1(2)