Transfer of Pharmaceutic Licensure

Applicants for license transfer/reciprocity must be a pharmacist licensed by examination in a state or territory of the United States with which Iowa has a reciprocal agreement, and the license by examination must be in good standing at the time of the application. All candidates must take and pass the MPJE, Iowa Edition. Any candidate who fails to pass the examination is eligible for reexamination.

Individuals interested in transferring their pharmaceutic licensure to Iowa must complete an NABP Preliminary Application for Transfer of Pharmaceutic Licensure. The Preliminary Application is available on NABP’s Web site,, by selecting the "PROGRAMS" section and “Licensure Transfer.”

After processing the Preliminary Application, NABP will send you the final reciprocity application, which you will submit to this office with the $270 reciprocity fee. In addition, all reciprocity candidates must take and pass the Multistate Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination (MPJE). Apply online for the MPJE on the Association's Web site at, using the Internet-based registration form. The NAPLEX/MPJE Registration Bulletin is available in a PDF format on The National Association of Boards of Pharmacy's Web site, A hard-copy is no longer published.

A final application for license transfer is valid for 12 months following the date of issuance by NABP. A candidate for license transfer must complete within that one-year period the MPJE examination.

Foreign pharmacy graduates must successfully pass NABP's Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Exam (FPGEE), the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), and the Test of Spoken English (TSE), and provide a copy of their Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee certificate to our office.

The MPJE exam combines federal and state laws. 

Printed from the Iowa Board of Pharmacy website on May 25, 2018 at 7:28am.