A pharmacy must maintain a reference library. References may be printed or computer-accessed. This library is to include, at a minimum, one current reference from each of the following categories, including access to current periodic updates.
- A reference including all pertinent Iowa laws, rules, and regulations that impact the pharmacy's practice.
- A patient information reference that includes or provides patient information in compliance with rule 6.14(155A).
- A reference on drug interactions.
- A general information reference.
- A current drug equivalency reference.
- A reference on natural or herbal medicines.
- The readily accessible telephone number of a poison control center that serves the area.
- Additional references as may be necessary for the pharmacist to adequately meet the needs of the patients served.
Different pharmacy practice sites, such as Nuclear Pharmacy, Hospital Pharmacy, and Correctional Facility Pharmacy, may have somewhat different reference requirements. Refer to the Board rules for the reference requirements for the specific type of pharmacy.