New Pharmacy Applicants
For the purpose of expediting your pharmacy license application and your state (CSA) and federal (DEA) registrations, the Iowa Board of Pharmacy has implemented the following procedural steps for obtaining these licenses:
- Complete the following two forms and submit, with the appropriate fees, to the Board office:
- Obtain your federal registration application (Form DEA-224) from the Drug Enforcement Administration, Attn: Registration Clerk, 317 South 16th Street, St. Louis, MO 63105. The form is now available on the DEA's web site (click on registration, then click on registration applications). Complete all information, sign the application, and attach your check or money order for the required fee. Be certain to check the appropriate box on the form if you desire to purchase Schedule 2 drugs for office use. Order forms for this purpose (Form DEA-222) will not be sent to you unless this box is checked. Mail the completed application to the Washington, D.C. address in the envelope provided. DO NOT mail the application to the Pharmacy Board office nor to the St. Louis DEA office. The DEA registration will not be issued before the state registration application has been processed.
Licenses are issued to pharmacies under the "doing business as" (d.b.a.) name. Be sure that all applications are completed with this d.b.a. name listed first and that addresses on all applications are identical. On the federal application, in the spaces requesting Iowa CSA and pharmacy license numbers, indicate "applied for" or "pending."
IMPORTANT: This procedure does NOT authorize the POSSESSION of prescription drugs (including controlled substances) prior to a formal inspection of the premises by a compliance officer from the Board of Pharmacy to review requirements pertaining to space, library, equipment, and drug storage safeguards. Prescription drugs delivered to a new licensee prior to formal inspection and approval will be subject to seizure by the Board.
- Upon receipt in the Board office of the completed applications and required fees for a pharmacy license and an Iowa Controlled Substances Act registration, the Board will notify you of the procedure for scheduling a formal inspection of the premise. PLEASE ALLOW AT LEAST TWO (2) WEEKS' NOTICE FOR INSPECTION. Your pharmacy should be in full compliance of Iowa laws, rules, and regulations at the time of this initial inspection. Opening Inspection Checklist Telepharmacy Opening Inspection Checklist
- Based upon a satisfactory report by our compliance staff, the pharmacy license certificate and the Iowa CSA certificate will be delivered to the pharmacy and prescription drugs and controlled substances may be received.
- Federal DEA registration certificate will be issued following a satisfactory inspection by Board compliance officer. Schedule II controlled substances order forms are delivered approximately 5 working days following receipt of your DEA registration certificate.