New Pharmacy Applicants
For the purpose of expediting your pharmacy license application and your state (CSA) and federal (DEA) registrations, the Iowa Board of Pharmacy has implemented the following procedural steps for obtaining these licenses:
- Complete the following two forms and submit, with the appropriate fees, to the Board office:
- Obtain, from the Drug Enforcement Administration, Federal Building, Room 937, 210 Walnut Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50309, registration application form DEA 224. Complete and return the application form and appropriate fee to the address indicated with the form. If you wish federal order forms for Schedule II controlled substances, be sure you check the appropriate box on this application form.
Licenses are issued to pharmacies under the "doing business as" (d.b.a.) name. Be sure that all applications are completed with this d.b.a. name listed first and that addresses on all applications are identical. On the federal application, in the spaces requesting Iowa CSA and pharmacy license numbers, indicate "applied for" or "pending."
IMPORTANT: This procedure does NOT authorize the POSSESSION of prescription drugs (including controlled substances) prior to a formal inspection of the premises by an inspector from the Board of Pharmacy to review requirements pertaining to space, library, equipment, and drug storage safeguards. Prescription drugs delivered to a new licensee prior to formal inspection and approval will be subject to seizure by the Board.
- Upon receipt in the Board office of the completed applications and required fees for a pharmacy license and an Iowa Controlled Substances Act registration, the Board will notify you of the, procedure for scheduling a formal inspection of the premise. PLEASE ALLOW AT LEAST TWO (2) WEEKS' NOTICE. Your pharmacy should be in full compliance of Iowa laws, rules, and regulations at the time of this initial inspection.
- Based upon a satisfactory report by our inspection staff, the pharmacy license certificate and the Iowa CSA certificate will be delivered to the pharmacy and prescription drugs and controlled substances may be received.
- Federal DEA registration certificate will be issued following a satisfactory inspection by Board inspector. Schedule II controlled substances order forms are delivered approximately 5 working days following receipt of your DEA registration certificate.
For more information, please contact Diana Carlos-Pirillo.