Each entity, wherever located, that provides third-party logistics services of prescription drugs as defined by federal law in or into Iowa shall obtain a Third Party Logistics (3PL) Provider license in accordance with state law and rules prior to engaging in the activity. A 3PL license expires March 31 each year.
Each 3PL, wherever located, that provides third-party logistics of controlled substances in or into this state shall also obtain a Controlled Substances Act (CSA) registration.
Wholesale Distributor, 3PLs and Limited Distributors FAQ
Where operations are conducted at more than one location by a single 3PL provider, each location must be licensed.
“Third-Party Logistics Provider” or “3PL” means an entity that provides or coordinates warehousing or other logistics services of a product in interstate commerce on behalf of a manufacturer, wholesale distributor, or dispenser of a product, but does not take ownership of the product nor have the responsibility to direct the sale or other disposition of the drug.
How to Obtain & Challenge Your FBI Identification Record
3PL License Renewal
An Iowa 3PL license expires March 31 of each year. The fee for a new or renewal license is $750.00. License renewal is the licensee's responsibility. As a courtesy, the board office sends a license renewal notice to each licensee 60 days prior to license expiration, however the option to renew will not be available more than 60 days prior to the renewal date. The renewal notice is sent via email to the licensee’s last known email address. Failure of the licensee to receive the notice does not relieve the licensee of responsibility for renewing that license prior to its expiration. A license can be renewed online or by paper application.
For more information, see 657 IAC Chapter 43.
Applications and Forms
- Online License Renewal Portal A valid credit or debit card (Visa, Mastercard, or Discover) is required for online renewal. There will be a $2.00 convenience fee charged for online renewal and payment. The renewal certificate will be mailed within a few days of the online renewal.
- Online Renewals - Required Documents - Please review prior to accessing the online renewal portal.
- Acknowledgment and Attestation (for PIC, Facility Manager, Supervising Pharmacist, and Responsible Individual)
- Online Initial Application for New 3PL Applications (This application should only be used by applicants that have never been licensed in Iowa, at the facility's current location, as a 3PL.)
- Third-Party Logistics Provider (3PL) Application (not to be used for facility manager changes)
- Facility Manager Change Application
Submit the completed application with any required documentation and a check or money order payable to the Iowa Board of Pharmacy for the nonrefundable fee.
For more information or questions, please use the online contact form to contact Board staff.