What is a CSA Registration?

Controlled Substances Act (CSA) Registrations are required for any person or business that manufactures; distributes; dispenses; prescribes; conducts instructional activities, research, or chemical analysis with; or imports or exports controlled substances listed in Schedules I through V of Iowa Code chapter 124 in or into the state of Iowa, or that proposes to engage in such activities, unless exempt from registration pursuant to rule 657 IAC—10.8(124).

Every individual practitioner or researcher who administers, prescribes, stocks, or dispenses any controlled substance must be registered under both state and federal Controlled Substances Acts. Federal registration is with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). State registration is with the Iowa Board of Pharmacy. These registrations must be renewed periodically; check the respective registration certificates for expiration dates. Registration certificates must be maintained at the registered location. Registration is for a specific practice location. Individual practitioners or researchers who personally procure and maintain a stock supply of controlled substances for dispensation or administration at multiple locations must obtain a separate registration for each location. Individuals who make a change in their practice location must notify both the state and federal offices.​

Printed from the Iowa Board of Pharmacy website on September 17, 2021 at 10:12am.