1. Home
  2. Who Shall Register?

Who Shall Register?

To be eligible to register, individual practitioners must hold a current, active license to practice their profession. The following individuals, if procuring/stocking, prescribing, administer, or dispensing controlled substances in Iowa, are required to register:

  • Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioners (ARNP)
  • Dentists (DDS/DMD)
  • Medical Doctors (MD)
  • Optometrists (OD)
  • Osteopathic Physicians (DO)
  • Physician Assistants (PA)
  • Podiatric Physicians (DPM)
  • Veterinarians (DVM)
  • Psychologists with Prescriptive Authority
  • Researchers (Professional license not required; approved research protocol is required)

The following businesses, if engaged in any activities involving controlled substances, are required to register:

  • Manufacturers
  • Reverse Distributors
  • Outsourcing Facilities
  • Distributors
  • Importer/Exporters
  • Pharmacies
  • Hospitals (Including hospital pharmacies, jails, and animal shelters)
  • Clinics (Including outpatient surgery centers and substances use disorder clinics; not private offices of individual practitioners or groups of practitioners)
  • Narcotic/Medication Assisted Treatment Programs
  • Emergency Medical Service Programs
  • Researchers
  • Analytical Laboratories
  • Health Care Facilities (Including care facilities, group homes, and assisted living facilities)
  • Dog Training Facilities (Including privately-owned and law enforcement K-9 training programs)
  • Teaching Institutions
  • Religious Organizations