Iowa Board of Pharmacy
400 SW 8th St
Des Moines, IA 50309
The June Board meeting has been condensed into a one day meeting and will be held Tuesday, June 28, 2022.
Meeting Location: The meeting will be held via Zoom and in-person at the Board of Pharmacy office. To access the meeting, see details below:
Join Zoom Meeting:
Meeting ID: 844 5351 4463
One tap mobile
312-626-6799, 84453514463#, *116040# US (Chicago)
Face masks are recommended for all in-person attendees and required for those who are unvaccinated.
If you have a fever, cough, shortness of breath or have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 please attend remotely via Zoom.
9:00 a.m. Call to Order, Roll Call, and Announcements
Public Comment Period
Approval of Minutes
- May 3, 2022 Open Session Minutes
- Request for delayed compliance with 657 IAC 10.18(4)"a" and 10.20 (effective July 6, 2022) requiring reconciliation of schedule II perpetual inventory following each transaction and implementation of at least one measure to ensure schedule III-V accountability – Main Healthcare Services, License 152, Bettendorf; Main Healthcare Pharmacy, License 1367, North Liberty
- Request to waive 657 IAC 8.35(6)"c", 8.35(7)"a" and 8.35(7)"d" requiring a new application and fee and notifications for change of ownership – MercyOne Medical Center, License 321, Des Moines; MercyOne Des Moines Pharmacy, License 593, Des Moines; MercyOne Clive Pharmacy, License 1193, Clive; MercyOne Ankeny Pharmacy, License 1261, Ankeny; MercyOne West Des Moines Medical Center Pharmacy, License 1363, West Des Moines
- Request extension of waiver of 657 2.4(2) requiring the completion of both licensure exams within one year - Mariam Wanis, Registration 7169, Coralville
- Request to waive 657 IAC 21.10(3)"b" requiring pharmacist final verification on prescriptions filled utilizing an automated medication dispensing system – Walgreen Co, License “Pending,” Liberty, MO
Petition for Exemption from the Mandate for Electronic Transmission of Prescriptions
- Iowa Dental Foundation
- Sydney McNertney, Technician Trainee Application, Mason City, IA
Reports & Informational Items
- Executive Director’s Report
- Meetings and Travel
- Budget Review and Fee Review and Approval
- Legal Update
- Prescription Monitoring Program (PMP) Update
- Board-Sponsored Medication Disposal Update
- Iowa Monitoring Program for Pharmacy Professionals (IMP3) Update
- Compliance Report
- Well-being Index for Pharmacy Personnel Reports
Review of Proposed Edits to the Board’s Statewide Protocols
- Naloxone Statewide Protocol
- Immunizations Statewide Protocol
- Nicotine Replacement Tobacco Cessation Statewide Protocol
Rules and Legislation
- Legislative Update
- Proposed for adoption and filing to amend Chapter 3, "Pharmacy Technicians," and Chapter 6, "General Pharmacy Practice," to provide for pharmacist delegation of technical functions relating to prescription processing activities under specific conditions to an Iowa-registered certified pharmacy technician who is performing the delegated functions at a location other than where the supervising pharmacist is physically present (ARC 6279C).
- Proposed for adoption and filing to amend Chapter 12, "Precursor Substances," to temporarily amend Iowa Code section 124B.2(1) to add one chemical as a precursor substance in response to similar action taken by the federal DEA (ARC 6280C).
- Proposed for adoption and filing to amend Chapter 8, "Universal Practice Standards," and Chapter 19, "Nonresident Pharmacy Practice," to modify handling of ownership changes for resident and nonresident pharmacies, require nonresident pharmacies that directly dispense to Iowa patients to provide evidence of a toll-free telephone number with access to a pharmacist who has access to the patient's records during the pharmacy's regular business hours, and provide a process by which a pharmacy can temporarily relocate pharmacy operations in response to an exceptional circumstance or disaster rendering the pharmacy unsafe (ARC 6182C).
- Proposed for notice of intended action to amend Chapter 12, "Precursor Substances," to provide updated application processes and correct a reference.
- Proposed for notice of intended action to amend Chapter 14, "Public Information and Inspection of Records," to update the manner in which records are maintained by the board and correct Iowa Code references.
- Proposed for notice of intended action to amend Chapter 10, "Controlled Substances," to temporarily amend Iowa Code to add one schedule V substance in response to similar action taken by the federal DEA.
- Proposed for notice of intended action to amend Chapter 23, "Care Facility Pharmacy Practice," to provide a time frame for a care facility to provide documentation back to a provider pharmacy relating to the administration of vaccines provided by the pharmacy for an immunization or screening program.
- Proposed for notice of intended action to amend Chapter 41, "Outsourcing Facilities," to provide additional information for applicants relating to the inspection requirement provided in Iowa Code, clarification on when a change of ownership is determined to have occurred, assessment of late penalty fees when an outsourcing facility fails to timely submit a license change application, and assessment of a fee for written verification of a license.
- Review of Closed Session Minutes – 21.5(1)(a)
- May 3, 2022 Closed Session Minutes
- Licensure/Registration Renewal – 21.5(1)(d)
- Complaints and Investigative Reports – 21.5(1)(d)
- Notice of Hearing and Statement of Charges – 21.5(1)(d)
- Combined Statement of Charges, Settlement Agreement and Final Orders – 21.5(1)(d) & (f)
Return to Open Session
Vote on any closed session agenda items requiring final action
Please see below for the attached meeting minutes from the June 28, 2022 meeting.